I done went and got SSL on this here site by way of Let’s Encrypt. It was pretty easy.
Not so easy was the run up to get it installed:
- Update Debian with latest packages
- Realize Debian is now on oldstable (jessie)
- Update Debian to stable (squeeze)
- BREAK EVERYTHING
- Kinda-sorta fix it (aptitute still suicides on forking)
$ sudo certbot --nginxand marvel at how far we’ve come along
The last time I tries setting up SSL was a total pain in the ass, and it only got me a self-signed certificate that all of the browsers kept complaining about.
Yay for one thing taken off the bucket list. As an aside, I changed the permalink structure cos long URLs that use a date/time format are annoying and hard to remember. I got the idea for switching from here. I hear it plays hell with your SEO but I don’t particularly care about it here. Everyday at work I suffer from URLs that mean one thing for one person but something entirely different for someone else depending what they are doing.
Annoying as fuck, let me tell you.
Now I just need to figure out a plugin that will let me type stuff into the WP editor in markdown/commonmark, and not make the plugins kill themselves.